Thursday, April 23, 2009

simply delicious

There were a lot of influences pushing me towards a simple homemade breakfast this morning. I had spent the day yesterday - which was incidentally earth day - hanging out at a farmers market. I also attended a discussion session with one of our vendors, a Wesleyan professor who teaches a class on the American Pastoral, and a senior who wrote her thesis on farmland preservation. Adding to all of that wholesomeness, I am also reading a book called "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" by Nina Planck. If that wasn't enough, Olivia gave me Alice Waters's "The Art of Simple Food" which I spent much of my morning perusing. Basically, it was like the world was convening to tell me to put time into making a delicious and wholesome breakfast. Luckily my Thursday mornings aren't that busy so I was able to follow the impulse....

Last night Avi and I prepared some olive oil bread dough. At Christmas I was given a book called "How to make Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" and for awhile we were happily munching on fresh bread. When life got busy, we had fallen behind in our efforts so it was nice to get back to it. The first thing I did when I woke up was preheat the oven and shape a small roll out of the dough.
Next, I ventured outside to dead head my pansies and harvest some fresh parsley. I was so excited to use some of our herbs. I have been chomping at the bit to start using the herbs since I planted them, but all of the information I have read says to wait a week. I made it about 5 days before needing to do the harvest.

When I got back in, I put my roll into the oven and started on the eggs. I checked "The Art of Simple Food" to see what Alice had to say. Her most useful piece of advice was that you should barely mix the eggs because stirring them too much causes the eggs to lose body. I put two eggs, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and a bit of chevre into the bowl and mixed with restraint. When my pan was properly heated, I added a bit of butter and then the eggs. Since I didn't over mix, instead of homogenous yellow blobs, my eggs were very pretty. Some pieces were shiny and white, some were a vibrant yellow, and all shades in between were represented. The tang of the goat cheese and the brightness of the parsley made it an excellent dish.

By the time the eggs were done my bread had a crispy crust and was smelling delicious. You can't beat the smell of baking bread in the kitchen.

I cut the bread in half when it was still steaming and topped it with Farmer's market goodies. On one half I put blood orange marmalade and the other half was topped with maple butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment