Friday, April 24, 2009

Burrito Night

Inspired by the amazing bright yellow stuff on my scallops at Ibiza, and by the increasingly overripe mangoes from the veggie co-op a few weeks ago, I decided tonight was a good night to make mango salsa. Basically, if you give me a mango, I will either wait for it to get brown on the inside and throw it out, or I will make mango salsa with it. I don't really like mangoes plain-- when I was little I was convinced that mangoes had a fishy taste, and I've never really gotten over it-- and I am not creative enough to come up with other preparations. Besides, I think they taste best when paired with a little acid, and salsa is stupid easy.

So: mangoes cut up as best you can (slightly mangled is okay-- and unavoidable if you're me), red onion, cilantro (lots!), lime juice, and if you want, some peeled diced cucumber (I wouldn't have bothered with this addition except that we had a rapidly aging co-op cuke in the fridge that was looking pretty sad). Mush it up in a bowl and add some salt and pepper to taste so you can feel like you're actually cooking something.


Incidentally, today I learned that my camera's macro feature does not necessarily make all food look tastier:

Eww. Slimy.

The burritos themselves were not particularly interesting to photograph (picture a rolled up tortilla and you've got the idea), but contained white rice, black beans, some sauteed red onion, cheese, the salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, and sour cream. They went excellently with beer.

The only drawback is that I now find myself in a situation I encounter every time I use cilantro. I have at least half a bunch left and no idea what to do with it. I absolutely love cilantro, to the point where I'll sometimes snatch a few leaves at Weshop instead of stealing the bulk candy. But I can never ever use it up. Why can't you buy fresh herbs by the sprig? Any suggestions on how to avoid watching my lovely cilantro slowly wilt and go gross in the fridge?

1 comment:

  1. Cilantro pesto! We have a whole book on pesto you can borrow if you want. If you are a cilantro lover this is the way to go - and its easy!

    ReplyDelete