Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beet and Shrimp Fritters

Fritters are one of my favorite foods of all time because they're quick, fried, and can be made with almost any ingredients.

For these I used approximately:
1 cup chopped precooked shrimp (damn you Weshop!)
1 beet, washed, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup shredded cauliflower
3 eggs ( I wouldn't add this many if it wasn't Passover and I could use flour to bind then together)
1/4 cup matza meal (I'd usually use flour, but the matza meal ended up working pretty well)
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

This made seven decent sized fritters

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, and let sit for 5 minutes. Take a small handful of the mixture and squeeze into a patty. If it doesn't easily stick together, add more matza meal ( or flour)

Heat around half an inch of oil in a pan. I recommend something like canola or peanut oil. Place one patty into the oil. Its always important to do a test patty when you're making up you're own recipe in order to make sure it sticks together. Assuming it does, add as many and can fit, and cook for around 5 minutes on each side. I don't usually check the temperature of the oil, but it should be hot enough to form a nice crust, but not burn the outside during the 5 minutes its submerged.




I made a dipping sauce out of mayo, mustard, and relish

No comments:

Post a Comment