Thursday, April 2, 2009

A new take on an old favorite

The Food:
On Tuesday night I enjoyed a Sarah Duo Dinner, where Ms. Weisbuch and I sat at the table together for a simple spaghetti feast. In the interest of keeping my palate engaged, I modified my portion by adding in some quartered roasted brussels sprouts and some crispy prosciutto before topping with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Lately, I have been a brussel sprout addict. They are a regularly stocked item at weshop and I end up having them at least once a week - yum! My favorite way to eat them is roasted. The outer leaves end up caramelized and crispy while the inside is nicely tender. To do this you just cut off the bottoms and halve or quarter the sprout. The sprouts then go on a baking sheet where they are tossed in olive oil and seasoned in some fashion. Popular seasonings in my kitchen include: salt and pepper, salt and cumin, a seasoning mix a bought a the farmer's market, or salt and garlic. Salt is definitely a theme - it does something marvelous to the brussel sprout.
Anyway, with a few mix-ins, my spaghetti was elevated from a simple meal to a gourmet feast. Magic!

1 comment:

  1. Spaghetti with Brussels sprouts, prosciutto and parm sounds absolutely delicious. Wish I could have joined you both!

    ReplyDelete