Friday, April 17, 2009

milk and cereal

This morning, for reasons unknown - even to me, I woke up wondering about the history of cereal. While cereal isn't my favorite breakfast, it is a reliably easy and satisfying start to a day. According to a 1995 poll done for Good Morning America, cereal is the most commonly eaten breakfast food in our country.
Among the most likely to eat cereal: women (35% choose it, compared to 27% of men who incidentally favor bacon and eggs), and people from the northeast (39% of people eat cereal here...it is much less popular in the south).
I researched cereal history for quite awhile this morning, but this set of youtube videos says it better than I ever could. Enjoy!

This first one is a visual history of cereal. The song is gets old, but it is very interesting to see all the old box designs!



The next video is an actual history of cereal. Pretty interesting...



and finally, an old Rice Krispies commercial that was too cute to leave out.



Final bit of trivia: the most popular cereal in 2008 was Cheerios. I am curious about whether this will hold true for our blog readers. Please leave a comment about which is your favorite cereal!

3 comments: