Sunday, April 5, 2009

French Toast

The Food:
There is no better way to round out a hectic week then with a moment of pause over some good food. For me, whether with friends or by myself, Sunday brunch is the perfect time to fill that role. Today I did dine solo, but that didn't mean simply cereal and milk.
My brunch included: a champagne mango and some orange French toast topped with blueberries and maple syrup. Everyone knows how to make French Toast, but I am going to include a few key factors that made mine go from standard breakfast fare to scrumptious!



- I used a day-old loaf of French bread and cut it in half longways so both pieces had some of the gooey insides and some crunchy crust
- For the soaking liquid I used local free-range eggs. These actually make a huge difference- the yolks are a deep orange and the flavor is more intense. I also included a splash of orange juice which gave the toast a more complex flavor.
- I also soaked the bread in the egg mixture for a good fifteen minutes which made it gooey and tender. Yum!

Also champagne (actually called ataulfo in the rest of the world - silly American marketers!) mangoes are a fruit worth mentioning. It is my favorite variety of mango and it is only available for a short time twice a year. I have decided to include some fun mango facts to hopefully inspire you to go out and try this or any other mango. What a nice way to break into spring!


- Contrary to what your supermarket may lead you to believe, there are over 1,000 varieties of mango
-The mango is in the same family as cashews, pistachios, poison ivy, poison oak, and the Jamaica plum
- The first record of mangoes dates back to the 5th century BC
- Mangoes have tenderizing properties which make them good for use in marinades
- More mangoes are eaten all over the world than any other fruit (although this seems pretty hard to confirm, I have found a few sources saying the same thing)
- In some areas of the U.S. (particularly those with a history of mining) the word mango traditionally refers to a stuffed green pepper rather than to the tropical fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment