Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zgougougougougou

Around midnight last night I decided it was finally time to make my zgougou. Zgougou is a Tunisian pudding made with black Aleppo pine seeds. It is usually eaten on Mouled, the prophet Mohammed's birthday. Unfortunately this year Mouled fell during spring break, and I left the Zgougou at school so we had to celebrate a bit late. I had never made it before, and the instructions were all in French and Arabic, but it somehow turned out similar to how I remembered it in Tunisia. Usually people put ground almonds or pistachios on top with lots of pretty decorative chocolates and stuff; I used grated coconut and pine nuts since that what we had lying around at 1 in the morning.



I bough the seeds preground and packaged in Tunisia, and the box I had ended up making over half a gallon of pudding. So come over and eat some!

Doing a little bit of research I found out that there are Aleppo pine trees in California, however I have no idea if it is possible to buy the seeds. If you find them, send me an email, or better yet, the seeds themselves. I can also give you a recipe.

Here's a picture of them so keep your eyes peeled:



And here's a picture of a kitten named Gigi that my friend found on the streets of Tunisia and brought home. (not to the US) For some reason her picture popped up on google images when I searched for "zgougou seed"

No comments:

Post a Comment