Sunday, March 1, 2009

Baby's all growed up.

Apparently some day I will have to feed myself without help from my housemates (and honorary housemates). Rumor has it that day is fast approaching. To prepare for this, I have been under their tutelage since September. A year ago--almost to the day--I took on baking for the first time. With Sarah Jeffrey babysitting, I produced a delicious batch of chocolate chunk cookies to be consumed by this boy I was visiting (hmm how little things change in a year, hmm hmm). I spent the spring and summer honing my baking skills, and I have spent most of this year playing helper to my housemates' (and honorary housemates') cooking endeavors.

So what happens when Grace is in Tahiti (luckyyy) and Em and X are at opera rehearsal? I think to myself, "I am hungry. There is food in the house. I can make that food. Right? I can make it yummy and have dinner waiting when my housemates come home."

And man am I amazing. I did it! A simple meal, but I did it aaaaall by myself. If you don't think this is impressive, ask Sarah to describe my baking efforts a year ago.



Baked tofu, mmmm. Marinated for a bit in some soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger, then baked for nearly an hour at 375 degrees. Attractive, no, tasty, yes.



And roasted green peppers. Green peppers are boring, but roasting is no-fail. They kept the tofu company in the oven. So apparently it's true: Anyone can cook. Even me. I might make it out there in the world. The food was successful: Em and X tested, Stega approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment