Monday, March 30, 2009

A good start!

I am a huge breakfast person! I mean, whats not to love...cereal, eggs, pancakes, waffles, bacon, fruit...all are excellent foods. This morning though, I had to expand my horizons because we were out of eggs, special K, or anything that would be toast-able. This left me with oatmeal. I am not usually a big oatmeal fan because the instant kind is mushy and too sweet. I was converted when I found the silver palate brand of oatmeal. Because it has thicker grains, it really has a nice texture to it. You do have to sacrifice the microwaveable convenience when you switch from the other kind, but trust me - its worth it!
This morning I put a big scoop of maple butter in the bottom of a saucepan and heated it up until it was a liquid. Then I added some chopped apples, and stirred them in the pan until they were deliciously caramelized. To this I added 1/3 cup of oatmeal, 1/3 a cup of raw milk, and 1/3 a cup of water. Once it came up to a boil, I put it down to a simmer and let it bubble away for about 8 minutes. During this time I was able to get dressed and packed for class - - who said cooking from scratch had to be a big drain on efficiency. This smelled so good (and time was ticking away) so I didn't manage to get a picture, but I did have a delicious breakfast and arrive to psych within plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment