Saturday, March 7, 2009

A quick refueling


This is Dancemasters Weekend at Wesleyan, a time when various choreographers and dancers come from across the country to perform and to teach master classes. I have just come home from a class with Carla Maxwell, one of the principle dancers with the Limon Dance Company. The class was pretty vigorous and I have returned dripping in sweat and craving a good nap. Unfortunately I am on a pretty packed schedule and soon have to turn around to go to Robert Battle's class. I am beat, but since he is the founder of the amazing company, battleworks, I could hardly skip it. So I found myself needing a refuel...and FAST!
I was ravenously hungry so I knew it had to be carby, but I also needed a heavy dose of protein to sustain me through the afternoon. Peeking in the fridge, I saw we had no quick and easy meat so I started thinking peanut butter. The final dish was highly experimental. It sounds pretty gross and isn't terribly easy on the eye (although the picture doesn't capture the warm curry color - it didn't actually match the table!), but it was absolutely delicious.

First I put some couscous (leftover from the night of disasters - see earlier post) in a saucepan and added a bit of milk. When it was nice and hot I put in about a tablespoon and a half of crunchy peanut butter. Thinking of thai food as inspiration, I added a few liberal shakes of curry powder. Upon tasting, it was missing some tangy-ness. I peeked into the fridge, hoping for sour cream, but only found cottage cheese. I decided to give it a go, so in went the cottage cheese. As it heated up those awkward lumps melted down, and the dish came together nicely. Now I am feeling ready to return to the dance floor! Hooray for experimentation!

2 comments:

  1. You're right, Sarah, your connoction doesn't sound too appealing! Points for making it work! And major points for this blog, I have been enjoying all immensely. Please give kudos to Avi, X, Becca and all!! Hard to believe you are struggling college students!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! This recipe made me laugh. It sounds absolutely vile! I'm sure if you say it was good, though, then it was. Way to be creative!

    ReplyDelete