Thursday, March 5, 2009

Night of disasters


There's this Herb Khoresh recipe with lamb shanks form the New York Times that I've been eyeing for months, and I finally found the time and the lamb shanks to do it... but ultimately it was disappointing. I didn't have dried Persian limes, so I did some research and some websites said that it would be ok if I substituted regular limes. Bad idea. Bad bad bad bad bad idea. It made the braise bitter and limey, in a really bad way. I called Avi in a panic and he suggested making a sauce from the braising liquid by adding some wine and tomato paste. Apparently I neglected to tell Avi/he didn't hear me say that there was a ton of lime in the braising liquid, because the tomato paste and wine didn't work at all. Now what would have been delicious lamb stock is just a big pot of bitter limey liquid and my salty tears (ok not really, but almost).
I rescued it, sort of, by taking the meat off the bone and adding some spices and figs and roasting in the oven, but not as good as I desperately wanted it to be. On top of that, Becca over-salted the cabbage salad.
Still, everything was edible.

The one great thing about dinner was Becca and Emily's curried stuffed sweet potato. It pretty much made up for everything else.

1 comment:

  1. Becca! No oversalting the cabbage salad, girl!
    But for serious. That sweet potato looks fabulous, and I want to make it, and then eat it. Can I have some more prep deets??

    ReplyDelete