Saturday, February 28, 2009

Short rib technique



Tonight we had short ribs braised in coffee and mulled wine with dried chilies and horseradish cream (horseradish, yogurt, and heavy cream). The sides were roasted green beans and polenta with spinach, toasted hazelnuts, and cheese.
I've braised a lot of short ribs by now, and this is what I've decided:
-cook it in the oven, not on the stove. I did it on the stove this time, because Mark Bittman did it, but it's just not a good idea. It didn't cook evenly enough and the meat was less tender than it would have been if I put it in the oven.
(Sarah: "If Mark Bittman jumped off a bridge, would you?"
Becca: "Probably." )
-if it's in the oven (and it better be), cover the pot with tinfoil, then put the cover on. That will keep the braise from evaporating.
-Three hours minimum. Ideally, I like it 1 hour past the time it takes for the meat to fall off the bone.
My favorite part about short ribs is the fat. I got an extra fatty one that had a half-inch layer of fat wrapped around the meat and it was divine. I wouldn't eat fat by itself, but I like fat and meat together so much that I would have a hard time choosing between perfectly marbled meat and a million dollars.


1 comment:

  1. Xiaoxi, I'm amazed! I never knew you to be a cook when I was at Wesleyan, and yet here you are whipping up mushroom risottos and braised meats like a pro. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete