Tuesday, February 24, 2009

lamb tenderloin

The Food:
Today was impossibly cold, the kind of day where you try to bury yourself in your jacket as you scurry around campus. I had my hood sinched up tightly and moved from place to place as fast as I could. At the end of my very busy Tuesday I wanted something warm and hearty. You know, the kind of dish that has been bubbling along all afternoon. Unfortunately, I only had 20 minutes....AND the only vegetable in the house was an eggplant - something I had never cooked before. Going without the vegetable was unthinkable; I grew up ha
ving a veggie, a carb, and a protein on my plate each night around the table with my mom and brothers. This meant I had a challenge on my hands - a new food and very little time.
Luckily, under Avi's tutelage I have learned to pull my nose out of the cookbook and start cooking creatively. I made up a satisfying recipe on the fly. Sauteeing garlic, eggplant, and diced tomatoes yielded a deliciously hearty sauce.


The sauce was thrown on top of some pastina (adorable star-shaped pastas for those of you who haven't had it). This was then topped with lamb tenderloin. I had this unusual cut of meat for the first time over winter break and found it to be succulent and delicious. I was thrilled when I saw them at Whole Foods! This is definetly a cut to try - very easy to cook and a large payoff.
The People Who Ate It:

Sarah, Xiaoxi, Avi!
The Whole Foods Conquerers

No comments:

Post a Comment