Thursday, February 26, 2009

Basking in the Post-Market Afterglow


The Food:
Selfishly, my favorite thing about the farmers' market is that it exists as a place where I can go buy delicious ingredients for my cooking endeavors. This week I bought some baby arugula, a half round of aged french-farmstyle goat cheese, a nutty gruyere by Cato Corner, baby kale, maple syrup, a baguette by Wave Hill Breads and a porterhouse steak.
Today for lunch with Emily, I tried to incorporate a lot of this local goodness. We had a bistro style lunch: lobster bisque and a baby arugula salad with grated carrot and a slice of fresh gruyere. So the soup obviously wasn't local, but the salad certainly was. The tart arugula took me back to when I was a kid squatting in my mother's vegetable garden and nibbling on her plants. We were also able to enjoy another market treat with the meal: some delicious wave hill bread that we used to dip in our soup!

The People:
Technology failed me today. My camera wasn't charged and Avi's didn't have a memory card. I took a picture of the food with my cell phone camera, but you are going to have to use your imagination to fill in me and Emily eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment