Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ojja Merguez (kinda)

Since coming back from Tunisia I have been trying to find merguez sausages. I wasn't even sure if they were available in the U.S., but when I mentioned them to someone they seemed to think they are somewhat common. I still haven't been able to find any, so until today all of the Ojja I've made has been vegetarian.

Then we went to Whole Foods, and though they didn't have any merguez, they did have some other lamb sausage, which I decided was good enough.


Ojja is this tomato sauce type thing that you eat with a baguette.

Here's what you need
1 onion
2 chopped green peppers
3 fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste - which we forgot to buy today
cumin - put in more than you think you need, cumin is not a spice to use sparingly
merguez or other sausage, or shrimp
harissa - a smoky flavored Tunisian chili paste - you can try something else spicy or forget it all together
2 eggs

Since I had never cooked sausage before I put it in a separate pan until it was cooked through.
In a larger pan saute the onion, then add in the cumin, harissa and tomato paste, followed by the green pepper. After the pepper starts to soften add in the tomatoes and cook it they become more mushy like a tomato sauce. Then add in the sausage - chopped, followed by the 2 eggs. I try to clear off a space in the pan for the eggs to start cooking before mixing them in with the rest of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat by scooping up the Ojja with a chunk of baguette.
Serves 3

Lamb sausages are not as close to Tunisian merguez as I would hope, but they definitely get the job done.


And the people who ate it

1 comment:

  1. Looks DELICIOUS! So my kind of dish. And yeah, I've found merguez to be pretty widely available, but then again I do live in New York.

    ReplyDelete