Sunday, May 3, 2009

perfecting popovers



The popovers Avi made for Sarah's birthday
were so good and the recipe was so simple that I decided to try it myself. I made two batches for comps cafe (food for CSS sophomores, who are having the worst week ever), and discovered a few things that I thought I might share:
-like Avi, I found that the popovers needed significantly less time at 375 than 20 minutes. Both batches were at the peak of golden crispiness around 10 minutes, and our oven doesn't run hot. I think it's probably a good idea to start checking around 10 minutes.
-I ran out of flour for the second batch, and ended up with 1/4 cup less flour than the recipe called for. Interestingly, the second batch popped higher and had a fluffier texture. I want to experiment further to determine if less flour really does consistently produce a better popover, but as of right now it seems like a runnier batter might not be a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment