Monday, May 4, 2009

Kebabs and More

Some of my friends from Boston came down for the weekend, and since it was nice outside we decided to grill. We were also planning on having dinner with another house leaving us with a mix of vegetarians, kosher meat eaters, and people who eat anything, and rather than make one item that would satisfy everyone, we ended up making a bunch of different things.

As an appetizer, we grilled some polenta slices with cheddar cheese

We then made veggie and chicken kebabs
the chicken was marinated in heavy cream, orange blossom water, sumac, chili powder and salt

Since the chicken wasn't kosher, we also threw on some hot dogs and veggie dogs


For dessert we made a cast iron skillet peach cobbler

We didn't really use a recipe; the peaches were mixed with brown sugar and lemon juice, and the topping was made with flour, vegetable shortening (to keep it non-dairy), brown sugar, salt and nutmeg

And the people who ate it



3 comments:

  1. you have orange flower water!?!? can we bake with it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to read these posts without being sure who the author is until you get to the end and see who posted it because I've discovered that I can usually guess accurately based on writing style and on what was cooked. When I got to what the chicken was marinated in--heavy cream, orange blossom water, and sumac, oh my!--I knew that it had to be Avi. Your marinades and dressings blow my mind--things that I'd never think to put together.

    PS. All these photos of picnics on green lawns and smiling attractive people in spring clothing are actually making me miss college, which I didn't think was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a positively gorgeous picture of me.

    ReplyDelete