Tuesday, February 23, 2010

White Roughy with cornmeal crust

Last Week I wanted a quick fish dinner. Unfortunately, none of the supermarkets in walking distance of my apartment have a fresh fish section, so I ended up getting frozen white roughy from TJ's. My mom started buying white roughy several years ago, and I think that as frozen white fish goes you can't do much better. Its pretty cheap, defrosts quickly because its thin, but more importantly, is very easy to cook. It stays soft and moist even when slightly overcooked, making it very versatile and a great fish for people who are afraid of cooking fish.

I decided to bread mine, and combined approx.
1 tbsp white flour
3 tbsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion seeds (I think you can buy these at Indian markets)
1/2 tsp coriander
pepper
salt

Before breading the fish I washed it and spread a thin layer of mayo on it. It then went in a hot cast iron skillet for a couple minutes per side.




I think next time I may try the Roughy in a stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment